The biggest killer of any small business owner's spirit is spending hours creating content to market yourself online, only to feel as though no-body cares.
You've probably heard plenty of times that if you're not marketing online, you may as well not be marketing at all. In the fast paced world of the internet it can feel like you're on a runaway train keeping up with the kinds of content people want to read - and more importantly; share.
"You need a social media strategy", "You need a blog" - it feels as though this is being screamed at you at every turn. What no-one wants to tell you is HOW to create content that's going to be worthwhile, and reap a reward on time spent. Fear not - keep this handy list at your disposal when you're stuck for ideas on how to create viral content.
The 5 Types of Content
1) Education - The internet is your best friend when you want to learn something new. How often have you answered a friend or colleague's question with "Google it!"? You're an expert in your field, you wouldn't be reading this right now, looking for ways to improve if you weren't. People need to know what you know - whether it's through a blog such as this one or an eye catching infographic - they'll thank you for your enlightenment. TIP: Open your notes app and brainstorm 3 things you could write about that would educate your audience.
2) Inspiration - By far the most shared posts on the web today are inspirational quotes. The reason for this is pure and simple - people want to feel valued, and when they see something that makes them feel like they can do it, that immediately makes them value themselves more. What's the best thing that happens when they value themselves? They value YOU as well... PING (that was the sound of the share button). TIP: Use canva to easily create beautiful graphics that sing your inspirational quotes from the rooftops.
3) Entertainment - Two words: CAT VIDEOS. I'm not suggesting you fill your business page with the Grumpy Cat, I'm just making a point. People love things that make them laugh, how often have you got stuck in a loop of videos on Facebook. They may seem silly, but they work! If you can find a way to trigger a giggle and increase your brand awareness, you're golden!
4) Information - This ties in wonderfully with education. There's a reason this is called the "Information Age". Everything we could possibly want to know is at our finger tips. If you understand who your customer is, everything about your brand is also just a few clicks away from them. TIP: Invest in a few books on copywriting. It will serve wonders in transforming your knowledge into a language that people are itching to read.
5) Promotion - Ooooo, the P word. You do have to be careful with this one. Buyers are a lot more savvy than they used to be and they can smell a cheesy sales pitch a mile off (especially when it's blue 😉 - I'll let myself out). However, you of course have to promote what you're selling. They key is tie it in with the previous 4, and build a relationship with your audience so that they feel comfortable buying from you. Give First, Sell Second.
Finally, the one thing these have in common and how they will all help you to create viral content - when used engaginly, they all move your buyer closer to where they want to be in life. If YOU are the one that can do that for them, they'll be queuing around the virtual corner.
GOOD LUCK! And be sure to let me know how you're doing.