Are you challenged in reaching your next level of success? Would just like to reach your desired business and personal goals faster? Personal development and professional success are without a doubt linked to each other. If you are not in a place of control on a personal level, then your professional life will be affected. Following these personal mantras will get you there. Apply any one or more of these with conviction and commitment and you will experience quantum leaps in your personal and professional life.
1. EXPECT TO WIN... EXPECT TO SUCCEED While we all experience highs and lows in our lives, outrageously successful entrepreneurs EXPECT to succeed over the long run. For such entrepreneurs, Success is the ONLY option. To what extent do you EXPECT to succeed? What less empowering expectations currently undermine your success? Make a decision today to succeed. "Cut the cord" on all other possible outcomes.
2. LIVE AND BREATHE YOUR MISSION STATEMENT While most businesses have crafted a mission statement, not many people have one for their personal lives. Successful entrepreneurs live and breathe their mission statement ... in every goal, every strategy and every project of their lives and businesses. It is the life force and the reason for everything they do. Do you have a compelling mission statement for your business and your life? Do you communicate it - both in words and actions - to every client, every prospect, every employee, every family member, every friend? If you asked any one of these stakeholders what is your mission, would they know what to say? Post and read your mission statement daily. Include it in all your collateral materials. Live and breathe your mission statement in every goal, decision and action. This one principle will make you a compelling magnet for greater and greater levels of success.
3. ALWAYS ASK THE MILLION $$ QUESTION: "Where is the opportunity in this situation?" Within every challenge, there is an extraordinary opportunity for a HUGE breakthrough. Even with the most difficult challenges, successful entrepreneurs never see challenges. They ONLY see opportunities. They constantly ask: "Where is the opportunity in this situation?" Where is your focus right now in your life, your business - on the challenge or the opportunity? Make it a habit with every challenge to ask: "Where is the opportunity in this situation?" that one question will blow open the doors to new solutions, new strategies and new possibilities to take you to the next level.
4. BECOME THE ULTIMATE "ROMANTICIST" Successful entrepreneurs are constantly "IN LOVE." Yes, that's right. They LOVE their lives, their family, their businesses, their customers. They LOVE their employees and vendors. They LOVE their visions. They LOVE everything about their lives. This principle is not something you get from a book. It comes from the very heart and soul of who you are. When you are "in love," it shines forth in every interaction, every exchange and every dealing. Remember the old cliche, "People don't care what you know; they want to know that you care." Are you "IN LOVE"? Are you "IN LOVE" with every aspect of your life? If not, why not? What do you need to change your attitude, beliefs or actions to become the "Ultimate Romanticist."
5. MAKE "ADDING MORE VALUE" YOUR #1 CRUSADE. Successful entrepreneurs are in the business of creating value. They have a strong conviction to contribute to more and more richness to those who's lives they touch. In everything they say and do. They let others know "you matter". Your well-being and success is important to us." They focus on "what do I have to give?" ... NOT "what do I have to get?" Where is your focus right now --- on adding value, or making the sale? Make a list of at least 10 ways you can increase your value to others. Implement the easiest ideas ... starting now. Make "adding value" a routine priority. When you do, your success will come.
6. DEVELOP A BIAS TOWARDS ACTION Successful entrepreneurs understand that, in today's economy, windows of opportunity are often measured in months ... not years and decades. They know they cannot wait for the perfect strategy, the perfect solution to capitalize on these opportunities. They must act quickly if they want to thrive in these highly changing times.
7. TAKE CONTINUOUS ACTION TOWARDS YOUR GOALS
Once your goals are written down aim to take definite actions towards these goals even if they are very small. It is essential to get into the habit of avoiding procrastination when you know there are tasks to be done. A great way to do this is to plan to only take a little action, sometimes as short as a few minutes at a time. Often this will get you going and you will devote more time to it than you originally planned, at other times you will realize that now is not such a good time, but you will have achieved a little bit towards your goal. Another great habit to adopt is to tackle the most difficult task first and get it out of the way. This usually makes all the rest of the task so much easier. Think of a time in your life when you achieved something you really wanted. Did you doubt it would happen and believe that you could not achieve it?
Or did you have a solid sense of knowing that it would happen and doubt never entered into your mind? It was the second wasn't it? When Richard Branson set up Virgin Airways, did he sit in his office and wonder if it would ever work? Did Bill Gates sit in his office wondering if anyone would want to buy his Windows product? They may have done for a little while, but they did not let these doubts rule them. They knew their plans would work and that they would be successful. When working to achieve your goals, you need that unerring sense of confidence and lack of doubt in yourself. You must Know it is going to happen and that you will succeed. We are not talking about thinking you will succeed, believing you will succeed or knowing you will achieve your goal. They are all intellectual forms of Knowing, Knowing with a capital K; that solid feeling in the pit of your stomach that you will make happen and you cannot fail.
Expect it to happen and know there is no other way. It will happen. This Knowing gives you drive and commitment to see you through to the success of your goal. But how do you get this feeling? One of the best and most effective techniques is visualisation. You currently use the power of visualization, probably without even realising it. Have you ever run through what you are going to say to someone before you have the conversation? Or seen yourself in your mind giving a presentation before you give it?
That is the power of visualization, and it is very potent. You can use it not only for your goals, but for any aspect of your life. Visualization is something most people are unused to directing. You will find initially that your attention will wander, but you have to pull it back to the task at hand. It is similar to building a muscle up through exercise – it takes time to strengthen it. The exercise for visualizing your goals is very simple, and is as follows...
1) Select the goal that you wish to work with
2) Picture an image of this goal in your mind
3) Visualize yourself attaining your goal. Use all of your senses – touch, hearing, sight, smell, and taste. Really feel your success with every fiber of your being and Know that your goal is as good as achieved.
4) Hold this image in your mind for a minimum of 10 minutes – remain focus and positive.
Challenge any doubts that rise and replace them with positive words and images of success. If you get distracted or your mind wanders, bring your focus back to your goal. You can also hold this successful image in your mind as you go about your day to day business. Keep the image there and focus on your success. You get what you focus on – and if you focus on achieving your goal, then you will get it.
Visualization is a method of programming the subconscious mind for success. With some goals you may want to keep them private. If you are trying to get fit and your friends know you have been less than energetic in the past when you tell them your goal, they will laugh and joke and not believe you. This doubt and disbelief can affect your belief in yourself and in your goal, which in turn can lead to failure to achieve the goal. It is hard enough to overcome our own doubts and worries without having to also overcome those of the people around you. Keep any goals where you may be influenced by others to yourself and let the people around you see the successful end result.
Little Steps You may have a big goal such as "To have an income in excess of $100,000 a year by the time I am 35" (notice the goal is specific in both the timescale and the amount and does not put an upper limit on your earning potential.) This goal can be very daunting to look at, perhaps even enough for you to give up and not strive to achieve it. To overcome this, you break your goal down into a number of smaller, more manageable steps.
Any large goal can be broken down into a number of sub-goals, which can then be broken down even further if necessary. Each of the sub-goals has an associated action plan with it. Using our income goal from above, sub-goals could be to understand taxation, to understand investment, to start your own company, and so on. Smaller goals are easier for you to handle, and help you to stay on course to your main goal. You also get the satisfaction of regularly having successes and achieving goals, which does wonders for your belief in yourself.
All of your major goals and their associated sub-goals and action plans need to be regularly reviewed – ideally daily. This ensures you remain focussed on your goals and instantly know if you start to drift away from your target. It allows you to adjust your goals and action plan according to whether things are working quicker or slower than planned. It also prevents you from repeating actions and carrying out tasks that are not necessary. It keeps the goals in the forefront of your mind, and does not allow you to forget about them. All of the above will prepare you for professional success. Studies have shown that successful entrepreneurs possess these characteristics:
1. Self-confidence This is that magical power of having confidence in oneself and in one's powers and abilities.
2. Achievement Oriented Results are gained by focused and sustained effort. They concentrate on achieving a specific goal, not just accomplishing a string of unrelated tasks.
3. Risk Taker They realize that there is a chance of loss inherent in achieving their goals, yet they have the confidence necessary to take calculated risks to achieve their goals. Entrepreneurs are people who will make decisions, take action, and think that they can control their own destinies. They are often motivated by a spirit of independence which leads them to believe that their success depends on raw effort and hard work, not luck.
So which of these three main characteristics is the most important? Believe it or not, it has to be self-confidence. Without self-confidence, nothing else is possible. If you don't believe in your abilities, then the first challenge that arises may knock you off the path to achieving your goals. Here are a few things to keep in mind for maintaining a higher level of self-confidence.
Positive Thinking Well, it all starts with a positive attitude, doesn't it? Believing that something good will happen is the first step. Negative thinking simply is not allowed. You must truly believe that there are no circumstances strong enough to deter you from reaching your goals. Remember too, that positive thinking can be contagious. When positive thinking spreads, it can open doors to new ideas, customers, friends, etc.
Persistent Action Now all of the positive thinking and believing in the world is useless if it is not applied towards a goal. You have to take action, no excuses are allowed. This action must also be persistent. Trying once and then giving up is not going to be enough. Keep at it one step at a time. If you can't get by a certain step, then find a creative way to try again or just go around it.
By now you should be able to see clearly how your personal development can impact your professional success. Take control of your life or... it will take control of you.
It is your journey and the decisions you make shape the path you have chosen to follow so... follow it with conviction, with passion and total determination and... YOU WILL SUCCEED!