If you hate your job you are probably looking for other work. In the meantime, it is important to cope with where you are at right now.
Most of us have been there, I've had my fair share of toxic work environments and bullying bosses. You know the scene, the thought of going into work fills you with dread and eats into your free time, then when you get there you want to turn around and walk straight back out again.
So, what do you do about it?
Well, until you get a new job you need some coping strategies. You might want to try one of these five tips to maintain your sanity until you move to greener pastures:
1. Find gratitude - I know this is going to be a challenge but this will help to make the positives feel bigger and the negatives smaller. For example, does your job have perks? Have gratitude for this and then make the most of them!
2. Know that you are planning your exit, this will lift you through those difficult times at work. Plan time for researching other jobs and getting in touch with potential employers.
3. Network with your colleagues, find out what their longer term plans are and what skill sets they have. You never know if you might need them in the future.
4. When you are not at work and you find your mind wandering there, use Mel Robbin's 5 Second Rule to bring it back. Yes I know I'm always going on about the 5 Second Rule but it is an incredibly simple tool that you can use at any time and it can be life-changing.
5. Look into alternative business systems like this one, but don't rush into anything when your mind is all over the shop. Take some time to research your options.
This blog I wrote a while ago may also help you with the dreaded commute.
Let me know how you get on. If you are having more serious problems at work here are some helpful organisations:
ACAS - Provide and advice information to employees and employers
National Bullying Helpline - Dealing with bullying at school and in the workplace
Citizens Advice Bureau - Free advice on a number of topics
I hope you found this blog useful, do leave a comment or share with your friends. And you can catch my latest blog here.
Until next time, go well :)