Living The Self Employed Life
People like you & me, dream of living a life of total freedom.
Free to do what we want, when we want, where ever we want.
I’ve dreamed of this ever since I was little & growing up has made me realise how few jobs, be it working for someone else or for yourself, actually give you this freedom.
What is Freedom?
Obviously, everyone will have their own definition of what freedom is to them but let’s start with a few basic definitions.
F R E E D O M
• The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants
• The state of not being imprisoned or enslaved
• The state of not being subject to or affected by something undesirable
Personally, my idea of freedom is to have complete abundance of time & money to be able to do anything I want to do.
Surely Being My Own Boss Will Give Me The Freedom I Crave?
I used to think this too so that is exactly what I did. I started my own company running a personal training studio in Manchester. Everything pointed towards freedom, responsible for my own paycheck, work the hours I want & take time off when I wanted to.
Perfect! I didn’t need to book holidays or evenings off with my boss, I didn’t need to ring in sick & I didn’t have to follow anyone else’s rules.
So What’s Your Problem Mate?
Sounds great doesn’t it, I’d achieved what I’d always dreamed of!
I found myself in the exact same position I had been in working for my previous company at the retail store Next.
Despite my master plan, I was still trading my precious time for money.
Sure, there are many perks of being self employed over working for a company such as:
• Greater work satisfaction
• More opportunities for innovation
• Increased creative thinking
• More control over salary
• Being your own boss
All great on the surface & yes definitely beneficial to filling someone else’s pockets while making their dreams come true.
More often than not going self employed only creates another job for you to go to every day. The same stresses (if not more), the same routine & tied to your job responsibilities which have now quadrupled.
Another job. Great. & we all know what job really stands for.
Just Over Broke!
A Matter Of Fact
In Europe & North America, according the World Bank, the percentage of the population that are self employed is 15.9% & 10.4% respectively. The majority of whom, like me no doubt, wanted to create a life of freedom.
Yet we are told that only 1% of the entire worlds population RETIRES financially free. So where did all the freedom go?
I don’t know about you but I don’t want to have to wait until I’m 65 (or probably even older) for my freedom.
Kinda like Drake says..
“Fuck Being Rich When Im Forty Man I’m Tryna Make It Now!!”
Here’s The Good News
Don’t panic yet & give up all hope, there is another option.
We aren’t limited to a life of employment or a life of self employment (or unemployment). We can choose a LIFE OF FREEDOM & here’s the even better news all it takes is a mind shift.
Decide in your own mind to become a business owner or an investor & ditch the employee way of thinking. Choose to place your efforts into businesses that do not require your presence, you own them but they are managed & ran by others.
All the money you get need to be thought of as your money making employees. See them as hard working minions who can each bring in their own paycheck. So manage them & send them out to work for you so you can work for no one.
Remember: If you have to work there, it is not freedom it is a job.
Where can I send my money making employees? Well, here are some business ideas & investor options:
• Stocks, Bonds & Mutual Funds
• Real Estate & Property Rental
• Affiliate Marketing
• Royalties from Intelectual Property (e.g. music, scripts, patents)
• Dropshipping & Online Businesses
• Publish a Book
• Develop an App
Making It Happen
All well & good right but where do you start? Surely it isn’t that easy?
No you’re right it’s not easy, but it is simple. All you need is the discipline to hold yourself to the commitment you make to yourself (& your army of employees) along with the consistency to take action on a daily basis.
The rest will follow.
Your Steps To Freedom
1. How much will you need? Figure out how much passive income will give you freedom. Add up your monthly outgoings plus any extra luxuries you’d like & set a target. Get really specific.
2. What can I do that I would enjoy? Brainstorm business ideas & investment options that don’t need your presence to make money, then research do your research to make sure it’s the right option for you.
3. Where do I get my money making employees from? Spend less than you earn. Make some alterations to your spending if needed, we can all find a few extra quid if we really try. Save all the money you can the more employees the better. Sacrifice a little now to gain a whole lot later.
4. Where should my money making employees work? Invest the difference. This could be an investment in a business, the stock market or yourself. Learning a new skill or educating yourself can sometimes be the wisest thing to do.
5. Am I ready to go yet? YES ABSOLUTELY!! Go for it!! Engage in income producing activities every day & fail your way to your passive income goal. You might not get it right first time, but you’ll only be free if you keep trying. Never quit!!
So make sure your path to freedom IS a path to freedom & not just another job & you could be living your dream life sooner than you think.
The Freedom Seeker.