NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS-GOOD OR BAD
You are most likely feeling quite confused right now!
You’ve likely heard conflicting information about nutrient supplementation. The supplement industry is not regulated properly, With thousands of multivitamins, minerals, and other unpronounceable supplements lining store shelves, and different camps having there own opinion.
Which of these pills and potions are legit and actually do anything? Are the people that buy these just wasting money on really expensive pee? But even worse, are they causing damage?
As our diets and food shift further and further away from nutrient-dense foods like high-quality animal protein and vegetables no thanks to all the processed foods and chemicals, aswell as a massive disconnect with nature, nutrient deficiency is becoming a widespread epidemic. But even if you’re following a more nutrient-dense healthy diet full of quality protein and fats, Chances are you are not getting the amount of nutrients required for optimal health.
The foods you eat no longer contain the nutrient levels you require for optimal health for many reasons. Crops are raised in soil where nutrients have been depleted. Plants are treated with pesticides and other chemicals so they no longer have to fight to live, which further diminishes their nutrient levels and their phytonutrient content (not to mention the toxic exposure you receive from such chemicals). Animals are cooped up in pens or giant feedlots instead of roaming free eating the nutrient-rich wild grains and grasses they once consumed. Since cow’s stomachs are adapted to grass instead of corn, they must take antibiotics to prevent them from exploding, no b.s.
The NHS thinks otherwise, but they would of course, they do not want you to be healthy, there is no profit in people being healthy. The NHS says "Most people don't need to take vitamin supplements and are able to get all the vitamins and minerals they need by eating a healthy, balanced diet. Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients, such as iron, calcium and vitamin C, that your body needs in small amounts to work properly".
Now the above statement would be true in a perfect world. no one would need supplements. But given the stress of our modern life, the poor quality of our food supply , and the high load of toxins on our brains and bodies, most of us need a basic daily supply of the raw materials for all our enzymes and biochemistry to run as designed. What most people dont realize is that becuase of the processes involved and chemicals added is that our food supply is impoverished before we even begin therefore we just do not have enough nutrients and minerals in our food supply.
Most people don’t understand the role of vitamins and minerals in our bodies. Before I became A health freak the thought never passed my mind and I believed everything came from food and there will be no issues but it is quite apparent the sad state of affairs in todays world, It seems everyone is sick and if your not yet you will be unless you grow a bit of awareness around the massive subject of your health or you could bury your head in the sand and wait until its to late, go see your GP who will do nothing to fix your problems but instead mask them with drugs and you will have a sad "wish i done something about this earlier existence". Not good Hombre!
Today, over 90 percent of westerners are deficient in one or more vitamins. That doesn’t mean they are receiving less than the amount they need for optimal health. That means they receive less than the MINIMUM amount necessary to prevent deficiency diseases.
To complicate this further all of us are exposed to hazardous toxins and chemicals that poison our bodies, we live with too much stress, we don’t sleep enough, we don’t exercise enough, and we are inflamed making the nutritional demands on our bodies even heavier. Those with chronic illnesses are in even worse shape.
So if you eat your fruits and vegetables, get out in the sun often, get plenty of good sleep, and stay well hydrated, your body shouldn't really need a supplemental source of vitamins and minerals, right! WRONG. Below are 5 powerful reasons that you need to take dietary supplements, no matter how healthy your lifestyle may be.
- Nutrient depletion in the soil. Modern farming techniques utilize fertilizers that actually deplete the soil of essential nutrients. Agriculture relies on the elements in the soil for absorption of proper amounts of minerals, and when this process is interrupted, the plant does not contain essential minerals and cannot form essential vitamins. And if the plant doesn't have it then you're not going to get it from eating the plant!
- Your ability to absorb nutrients from food actually decreases as you age. So while growing children should absolutely be taking a multivitamin to support healthy tissue and bone formation, supplementation becomes equally important for the older population. Sure, you could just eat more food, but this introduces a problem with caloric balance. Beware that many medications also interfere with proper nutrient absorption.
- Commercial harvesting, shipping processes, long term food storage, processing, and addition of preservatives degrades the nutrient content of food. Therefore, unless you're eating a very fresh plant, it is a far different species at consumption than it was when initially harvested. In addition, compounds added to the food during many of these processes, such as MSG, saccharine, nutrasweet, splenda, colorings, and flavors will increase your body's need for nutrients to deal with these damaging synthetic derivatives.
- Pesticides, herbicides, and chemicals found in the modern food supply are combined with chemicals in water, environmental contamination from elements such as degraded plastic, air pollution from carbon monoxide, lead and mercury. These synergestic elements vastly increase our need for extra vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to combat formation of free radicals and the attack upon our metabolism and immune system.
- Exercise increases nutrient needs. Are you an athlete or frequent exerciser? The vast amount of extra oxygen and energy used by active individuals will necessitate nutrient consumption that far exceeds the typical RDA of the average population. Consuming just the stated RDA can actually limit your athletic performance.
Ok super, so now you may ask: What about the research that says supplements don’t work? or are expensive pee as i mentioned near the top of page. I’d like to shed some light on that question as well.
In today’s world everyone needs a basic multivitamin and mineral supplement. The research is overwhelming on this point. Nutrients are not drugs and they don’t work as drugs do. They work with your biology by supporting normal enzyme function and biochemical reactions. Additional supplements may help people with specific imbalances or provide added support for certain times in our life cycle where needs for some nutrients are increased—during pregnancy for example.
Not all Supplements are Created Equally
It is important to find a safe, high-quality, and effective nutritional supplement product/company. Be aware that all brands are not created equally. Quality is up to the manufacturer because of limited regulations regarding manufacturing. Some companies are more careful about quality, sourcing of raw materials, consistency of dose from batch to batch, the use of active forms of nutrients, not using fillers, additives, colorings, etc. When choosing supplements it is important that you choose quality products.
That is all well and good, however finding the best products to support health can be a challenging task. The lack of government regulations, the dizzying number of products on the market, the confusing labels with all different ingredients that most have no clue what they are and the large variations in quality all create a minefield of obstacles for anyone trying to find the right supplement, vitamin, or herb.
When choosing supplements, make sure to consider the following factors:
- Manufacturers who use GMP (good manufacturing practices) or the equivalent.
- Third-party analysis for independent verification of active ingredients and contaminants.
- Products that have some basis in basic science, clinical trials, or have a long history of use and safety.
- Use of clean products, free of harmful preservatives, fillers, binders, excipients, flow agents, shellacs, coloring agents, gluten, yeast, and lactose and other allergens.
Each of the supplements I use abides by these standards and more. Check out this video THE NUTRIFII DIFFERENCE by ARIIX Chief Product Officer Deanna Latson, Dr. Ray Strand, Dr. Ginger, and chemical engineer, Brent Roth as they explain what sets the Nutrifii™ brand head and shoulders above the industry. Nutrifii™ provides advanced nutrition at optimal levels that support energy, longevity and optimum immune function, starting within each cell of the body.
So what are you waiting for? Begin an effective nutritional supplement protocol today!
SIMON J HOWARD