Hi and welcome to my blog. I hope you find it a valuable source of information and inspiration.
My name is Dave Ryan. For me, like most people in the world today, life is hectic! You're crazy busy with work, you've gotta try to find time for social engagements, you want to spend time with your family and on top of all that, if your like me, you want to cook fresh and healthy meals!
So where in all of this madness do you get a chance to live some of the good-life? You've heard so many people say - 'You're here for a good time, not a long time' , but in our modern society it's just not that easy to grab that slice of the good-life that you crave.
The first steps to creating this life and also, along the way, a better version of you, are really simple. In my mind there are 3 pillars or foundations for living the Dolce Vida. You may think it's strange that money isin't one of them. As an entrepreneur, believe me I know how important money is, but like I say, these are foundations of a better life. They say that money never sleeps. That may be true, but if you want to get ahead in life, sleep is something you can not neglect.
So here they are. My 3 pillars.
1) Sleep - Getting enough good quality sleep is essential for success in every part of your life.
2) Diet - The right diet for you will have you looking better, feeling better and with energy to burn!
3) Hydration - 73% of the human brain is made up of water. Headache? Lack of focus? Chances are you don't need coffee or pain killers, just plenty of water throughout your day.
It's funny how you often hear people nearly in competition with each other, bragging about how little sleep they need. 'I function fine on 5 hours sleep per night'.....'Yeah 4 hours is plenty for me'.....and so on. The truth is very few if any of us are reaching our full potential if we're getting less than 7 hours of quality sleep a night. Arianne Huffington was on this message 8 years ago in an entertaining Ted Talk. Possibly more entertaining for women that men, but the message rings true.
With all that said, somethimes you just dont have a spare 7 or 8 hours in your day (8 hours is what I aim for). I often find that I'm working late or I need to be up extra early to get a head start on a busy day. I'm very busy at work and train Crossfit in the early am, so I do find that window for sleep can get squeezed sometimes. So I try to concentrate alot on quality.
There are lots of ways to increase your sleep quality, but first on your list should be to download a sleep tracker app. to your smart phone. The one I use is Sleep Cycle. Here is the link ;
To use this app you just set the time for a 30 minute window in which you want to wake up. So if you need to be up at 6am you would set the alarm for 5.30am - 6.00am then the app, using the accelerometer your phone (the part which knows when you turn the phone sideways) will detect when you are in your lightest sleep phase and gentle wake you up. This feature is my favourite part of the app. There's nothing worse than being jolted awake from a deep sleep by a traditional alarm which is just set to go off at the same time everyday. Being woken from a light sleep phase leaves you feeling fresh and ready to go.
The other great thing about the app. is, it will give you a percentage to represent how well you slept - really good night sleep 100%, bad night sleep 45% and so on. The great thing about this is, as you make changes and adjustments to your lifestyle, you can actually see night by night how and if they are having an effect.
Here are some suggestions for increasing sleep quality that I have found really effective.
* After a stressful day a cup of Chamomile Tea really helps me relax and unwind and helps the body to start releasing that all important sleep hormone Melatonin.
* Try to avoid any screens ie. laptop, tablet, smart phone for at least an hour before bed. These devises emit 'blue light' which can increse alertness and reset the bodies natural clock or Circadian Rhythm to a later time.
* If you can, drink your last coffee before 3pm. Caffine stays in the body for a surprisingly long time - up to 6 hours! If you feel that you really need a coffee after that, maybe try Mushroom Coffee from Finnish company Four Sigmatic. There is less caffine and you can get an immune system boost from the Chaga Mushrooms and Lion's Mane increse cognitive ability. So it's a really great alternative (it still has 40mg of caffine per serving so take that into consideration).
So hopefully you will now be on the way to living the Goodlife. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and I hope you've taken some valuable insights. I will be back discussing my other pillars for a better you and a better life - diet and hydration.