We all have good and bad habits.
The definition of a habit is a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.
We all moan about our bad habits, you know the ones, smoking, eating the wrong foods, dropping our clothes on the floor etc. It can be hard to kick a bad habit but it's not impossible. All you have to do is decide to not do it anymore. Easy aye.
Good habits on the other hand are ones that we are happy with, habits that do something positive for us. Things like eating good food, exercising, picking up after yourself etc. For some reason though forming good habits is as hard as breaking bad habits.
Why is that?
Because we get uncomfortable when we try and do something we are not used to doing. We don't like doing things that are out of our normal routine, even when we know it's good for us.
We just keep doing the things that aren't of any help or of any value to us (bad habits) and we don't do things that are of value and will help us (good habits) simply because we've decided it's too hard.
Well, if you want to start changing your life then you will need to start changing some of your habits. So if you're ready to start changing some of your habits and start forming good ones, here's a few pointers to help get you started.
- Start with something small, one that you feel reasonably confident that you can achieve
- Know why you are doing it. There's less motivation to continue with forming good habits if you don't have a clear reason why.
- Decide to do it and just start. The more you put it off the longer it's going to take.
- Write yourself a reminder and put it somewhere for you to see to remind you of what you are doing.
- It takes at least 30 days to form a habit. In the first 10 days you will probably try and talk yourself out of doing it for whatever reason. Resist the temptation to quit and keep pushing through and remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing.
- Keep going. Eventually it will become a habit and you won't have to keep reminding yourself to do it.
Hopefully this helps. Trust me, good habits might be hard to start with but the benefits will make it worth it. Imagine how much happier, healthier and confident you will be once you have formed some good habits.