How to know when it's time for you to retire?
Finding out it's time for you to retire is not as easy as it seems. Typically, we take a standard path toward life, ending with retirement. The progress is relatively straightforward, from school to the first job and the lifelong working career.
Take a helicopter view of your life and think about what you have achieved. Did you reach your goals, or did something else happen? In most cases, we are so occupied with our lives that this reflection doesn't pop up until it's time for you to retire.
The psychotherapist Ragini Rao talks about three facts we all have from the very beginning in life:
- All human beings are born OK (no external influences whatsoever)
- We all have the capacity to think
- The possibility of deciding our own destiny is in our hands
Now, some of you will argue that it's not true. But then you consider all influences around you, external or internal. In the article, Ragini Rao continues:
- Every individual has three ego states in her or his personality: the parent, the adult, and the child
- When thinking, speaking, or acting, we do it from one of these three egos-states
- Which ego-state choice we make depends on our past in life
Try to think back and understand which ego-state has been pre-dominant during your life journey. By accepting this psychological reality, you have taken a gigantic step forward...Read more!>>