Being a parent does not delay the opportunity to start a business from home. Ok, let’s get real – It can be challenging for even the most patient, BUT it can be done!
Those little humans that you love dearly will manage to test every bit of patience you have. In my case, this usually involves my 4-year-old daughter attempting to paint her nails but instead, painting the carpet. This would also include my 9-year-old daughter trying to create the most unusual and annoying sounds she can possibly think of to try and get mine or her sisters’ attention (usually in an attempt to piss her off.) Therefore, I have come to conclude that in both instances my beautiful terrors are attempting to connect with me. Simple.
These tried and tested methods are 6 ways I have mastered the juggling act of parenthood and running my business from home.
1. Give the monkeys some time – Our children love attention and will do anything in order to achieve this. As hard as it may be at times, commit yourself to stop any work if your child is trying to get your attention. Read the book or help build the Lego house. 30 years from now, I'm almost certain the regret would be, "I didn’t spend enough time with my children" and not "I regret not being able to finish the blog."
2. Try and schedule meetings during school hours or after bedtime – This is for your own sanity. If you’re anything like me, it is almost impossible to remain focused and conversate when you have a 4-year-old tugging at your arm calling “mum, mum, mum, mum, mum”.
3. Plan your week – This is for both your personal and business commitments. Improve your productivity by ensuring there are no thoughts distracting you from the task at hand, for me, it is usually “do I have all my ingredients to cook dinner?” during a business video call. Ensuring you are organised with family commitments, whether that be dinner or allowing time for the kid's extracurricular activities. Clear up some mental space and write it down in a planner.
4. Stick to the plan – This deserves it’s own point as it is all good and well to create a plan, however if you stray then it has just become a complete waste of time.
5. Eat well and get enough sleep – Maintaining a balanced diet, regular physical activity and sufficient sleep ensures you have enough energy to get you through those busy days. It’s only a matter of time before the mind and body begins to run slower or less efficient if operating on 3 hours sleep and the Krispy Kreme doughnut you had for dinner. Being a parent alone is a massive task, however, adding a business is even harder. Treat your body as the temple it is!
6. Make yourself time – Self-care should be made a priority to give yourself some much needed Me, Myself and I time. This could be as simple as reading a book with a cup of tea, going for a walk or why not give meditation a go?
Life is too short to get stuck in the grind constantly and miss all the beautiful things around us.
With just a little bit of planning and mindfulness, you will see an improvement in every aspect of your life including the ability to balance work and life!
Find out more about us at https://united2jam.com