When, a few years ago, I saw the movie 'The Pursuit of Happiness' with Will Smith, I went out of the theater with an uncomfortable feeling because it made me thinking about my life and how it was poor of motivations and happiness.
The main question was: why I'm not happy? And sincerely I wasn't able to answer at that time, but that thought gave me the opportunity to reflect and, subsequently, I started a path toward my personal pursuit of happiness.
First of all, I decided that I required the best knowledge regarding the meaning of happiness and how science and psychology deal with it. During my search, I have found out seven main ways of thinking and acting that can strongly impact our sense of well-being and happiness.
Here a quick summary of the habits of happy people that I have discovered
- Relationship - People who have one or more close relationships are happier and positive regarding themselves and other.
- Acts of kindness - People who volunteer or simply take care of others seem to be happier and less stressed.
- Exercise and physical wellbeing - Regular exercise improves mental well-being and gets further the stress.
- Reach a goal - To be deeply involved in trying to reach a possible goal or an activity that is challenging, give us a joyful experience.
- Spirituality - Studies have demonstrated the close link between spiritual practice (religious or not) and happiness.
- Strengthens - Discover and use your own strength lead to a state of happiness.
- Positive mindset - Optimism, mindfulness, and gratitude are all attitudes that have been shown to have greater positive emotions and they strongly reduce the incidence of depression and stress.
After that, I decided that it was time for me to change my attitude toward myself and others. Actually, I started with the simplest habit (in my opinion) which was exercise, having the care of being more
The following step was to discover my own strengths and use them to reach some affordable goals. By chance or perhaps not, while I was helping in a center for homeless, I met a woman that has become the love of my life. A little while later, she confessed me the thing that most struck her was my positive attitude and a sense of happiness in my eyes.
I'm still improving my habits because this is the only way to have a wonderful, rich and fulfilling life.
If you want to read more about this argument push the link below.