THE BIG GIRL PANTIE QUESTIONS TO BREAK THE ICE AT THIS YEAR'S OFFICE YEAR END BASH.
I have been self-employed for the last 20+ years in the Hospitality industry, and as such, have attended more office Christmas Cocktail Parties than I can remember. I can safely say that I have always been grateful having been a witness to, rather than a direct participant in the OFFICE CHRISTMAS BASH.
Oriah Mountain Dreamer, walking home one night after an evening of mundane and meanlingless cocktail party white noise, was inspiation to write her bestseller - The Invitation. If Forbes published a list of the top 16 most meaniful questions to ask at your next cocktail bash - then this would be it.
YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Visualise yourself arriving late at your partner's year end office party. You hover at the doorway wishing you had developed that Migrane. Your brain screams RUN but your Jimmy Choo heels wouldn't allow it. So, you smile brightly, wave at no one in particular and hoick up your big girl panties. You head over to the safety of the bar and scan the room for friendlies.
Intead of the usual lame questions: What do you do for a living? Oh - so your husband is a doctor dharling- 'how lovely' kinda white noise questions, try any one of the following by way of an icebreaker. Then copy me in on how it turns out :)))
A note: Punctuate each point with either an exclamation or a question mark.
1) What do you ache for
2) Do you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing
3) Will you risk looking like a fool for love, for your dreams, for the adventure of being alive
4) Have you touched the centre of your own sorrow
5) Have you been opened by life's betrayals
6) Can you sit with pain - mine. or your own
7) Can you be with joy
8) Can you dissapoint another to be true to yourself
9) Can you bear the accusation of betrayal & not betray your own soul
10) Can you be faithless and therefore trustworthy
11) Can you see beauty, everyday, even when it's not pretty
12) Can live with failure. Your's and mine
13) Can you get up, weary & brusied to the bone and still do what needs to be done to feed the children.
14) Will you stand at the centre of the fire with me and not shrink back
15) What sustains you from the inside when all else falls away
16) Can you be alone with yourself and like the company you keep in the empty moments
THANK YOU ORIAH