If you’re anything like me you may be feeling tired and trapped by the restrictions that come with your chosen career. A little under a year ago I decided it was time to reclaim my future and work toward building a business that would give me back my time and freedom. If you’ve stumbled across this post you may be feeling similar and perhaps are in the midst of researching what’s involved in starting an online business and what kind of business you’re most suited to.
If the idea of working from the comfort of your own home or even being able to earn a living while traveling the world sounds appealing to you then read on. I’ve put together a list of 3 legitimate online business opportunities that have been profitable for me and may just be a great place to get you started too!
Perhaps you’ve spent a little bit of time looking around for online business opportunities that suit your personality and it probably didn’t take you long to figure out that a quick Google search will drown you in literally 1000’s of get-rich-quick schemes rather than legitimate online business opportunities. I know that this left me feeling overwhelmed, disappointed and ready to give up before I’d really even gotten started.
You’ve likely discovered that starting an online business isn’t going to be as easy as you first thought. But I can tell you that both the financial and time freedom that comes from running an online business is well worth persevering.
So let’s take a closer look at 3 REALISTIC online business opportunities from a Pro’s & Con’s perspective and see if I can help you to make little more sense of the situation:
3 REALISTIC Online Business Opportunites That I Use
Online Business #1 – Freelancing
Do you have great organizational and task management skills? Why not stack the odds in your favor by playing to your strengths? There is a whole range of tasks you can do that both individuals and businesses need to outsource regularly. As far as online business opportunities go this is a pretty much virtual subcontracting.
Wikipedia’s definition; A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term.
STEPS TO TAKE:
- BRAINSTORM YOUR STRENGTHS: Why not put fingers to keyboard and start making a list of the things you currently do for yourself and your loved ones that you have a special talent for or just love doing?
- RESEARCH THE MARKET: Use Google to find out if there is a need for the strengths and services you came up with.
- TAKE ACTION: Pick one or 2 outsourcing platforms and set up a profile. A few that I use are Freelancer & Airtasker and there are lots of others too!
CON’S: The income per task is be limited to what the taskmaster is willing to pay. Also, you will be bidding for tasks in a highly competitive environment. Freelancer & Airtasker will take a percentage of your hard-earned cash. It is difficult to establish long-term clients in this climate so you are always playing the bidding game. The person posting the job has the power to withhold payment and leave negative feedback if not 100% satisfied with your work.
Online Business #2 Affiliate Marketer
Easily the most accessible online business opportunity for anyone to get up and running quickly. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination. One of the simplest examples of Affiliate Marketing is blogging. Bloggers write blog posts about topics they’re either interested in or knowledgeable about. However, blogging is not the only way to build an Affiliate Marketing business. Access this Free 7 Part Video Series to learn more about setting up an Affiliate Marketing business with minimal fuss.
Wikipedia’s definition: Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts.
STEPS TO TAKE:
- FIND 2-3 AFFILIATE PROGRAMS I recommend starting with only 2-3 affiliate programs, to begin with otherwise you risk spreading your resources too thin. At least one of those affiliate programs will need to pay high paying affiliate commissions (over $1000 per sale) and 2 complementary affiliate programs related to but not in competition with the first program you choose.
- START BUILDING A SUBSCRIBER LIST: Altho you don’t need your own email list to start marketing affiliate products and services, it sure does make life easier and a lot more lucrative. We dive into this topic in a lot more detail in our Free 7 Part Video Series
- START BLOGGING: This is something you can choose to do yourself (I personally love this part of the business) or you can easily outsource for a minimal fee. Blogging is a great way to reach and connect with people who have an interest in what you have to share. Your blog posts will want to bridge the gap between your chosen affiliate products and services and the people who want them. Blogging is also one of the most cost-effective ways of growing your subscriber list.
INVESTMENT: There are lots of free Affiliate Programs are available for free, however, ones offering high commissions usually come with a small affiliate membership fee.
PRO’S: It’s a great way to build a business around your existing knowledge base, strengths, and interests. No need for a business idea of your own. No time and money wasted on purchasing stock, testing products in the marketplace. No need to have an e-commerce website of your own. Once established, this kind of business will bring time and financial freedom.
CON’S: A willingness to spend time learning effective affiliate marketing practices.
Online Business #3 E-commerce – Amazon/eBay/Shopify
Building an e-commerce business can take quite a bit of work to get started but once set up, it will practically run itself. It’s a good idea to start with just one or two product lines as you will want to test the market before investing too heavily. I suggest focusing on just one of the major seller platforms while you’re getting started, get to know it and how to leverage all the features before branching out to others.
Amazon has a brilliant new-seller support team, they are happy to jump on the phone and walk you through any issues you might be facing. If you’re looking for a business you can scale over time you can take your income levels to 6 figures and higher by selling on other platforms and creating your own retail websites. The point is, the sky’s the limit!
Wikipedia’s definition: E-commerce is the activity of buying or selling of products on online services or over the Internet. Electronic commerce draws on technologies such as mobile commerce, electronic funds transfer, supply chain management, Internet marketing, online transaction processing, electronic data interchange (EDI), inventory management systems, and automated data collection systems.
Modern electronic commerce typically uses the internet for at least one part of the transaction’s life cycle although it may also use other technologies such as e-mail. Typical e-commerce transactions include the purchase of online books (such as Amazon) and music purchases (music download in the form of digital distribution such as iTunes Store).
STEPS TO TAKE:
- SOURCE OR DEVELOP A PRODUCT: Perhaps you have your own product you’d like to develop and take to market? Or maybe you’d like to try importing a product that’s already proven in the marketplace?
- IMPORT YOUR PRODUCT: This is where things can be a little tricky in the early days while you’re navigating all the legalities, logistics and distribution. I suggest checking this out before diving in head first, particularly if you are new to the importing game.
- INVESTMENT: Getting started with one or two products can be an inexpensive way to get a legitimate and profitable e-commerce business off the ground reasonably quickly. You’ll be looking at the cost of importing your products and whatever fee’s and charges are incurred with selling them on Amazon, eBay or whatever seller platform you choose. If you haven’t checked out our Import Experts page yet make sure you check it out to find out the safest way of navigating your way through import taxes and getting yourself set up with minimal fuss on Amazon FDA
PRO’S: As far as online business opportunities go; an e-commerce business can be up and running in a matter of weeks. No limit to the variety of products you can sell. No limit to the size of the market you can sell to. Easily scalable. Once established, this kind of business will bring time and financial freedom.
CON’S: Upfront cash investment to purchase and import your chosen product. A willingness to spend time learning how to import products safely and how to market them online.
So with all that said here’s your chance to start a legitimate online business. Is it your time to get off the sidelines and create the ultimate financial and lifestyle freedom for yourself? With this list, you have 3 genuine online business opportunities that have been proven to work over and over again. Get started now and be sure to report back and let me know how you’re going!
Success Begins With:
- Becoming crystal clear on your passion & purpose
- Cultivating a tenacious belief in yourself, your product or service
- Developing your personal brand
- Learning how to market yourself effectively
Register here and I’ll send you the same Video Training & Workbook that got me started in building and marketing my business online.