"If You Want To Find Happiness For a Lifetime, Help Someone Else"
-- Chinese Proverb
There are many quotes from a lot of very smart people dating back to St. Francis of Assisi!
- For it is in giving that we receive — Saint Francis of Assisi
- The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity — Leo Tolstoy
- We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give — Winston Churchill
- Making money is a happiness; making other people happy is a superhappiness — Nobel Peace Prize receipient Muhammad Yunus
- Giving back is as good for you as it is for those you are helping, because giving gives you purpose. When you have a purpose-driven life, you’re a happier person — Goldie Hawn
There's also some scientific research that provides compelling data to support this truism. And anecdotal evidence that shows that giving is a powerful pathway to personal growth and lasting happiness and personal fulfillment. In fact, giving activates the same parts of the brain that are stimulated by food and sex. Experts have conducted experiments that show that altruism is hard-wired in our brains—and that it's pleasurable.
Serving and helping others just might be the secret to living a life that is not only happier but also healthier, wealthier, more productive, and meaningful.
Find what lights your fire
Give your time
I have said before that it’s easy to throw money at a cause and feel pretty good about that. But giving our time is often more valued by the receiver and more gratifying for us, the giver than giving money. We don’t all have money to give, but we do all have time, and whether it’s an hour a week or a couple days per year, we can give some of it to help others.
Find Your Balance
Don’t be guilt-tripped into giving. We’ve all felt the dread (maybe even rolled your eyes?) when friends or, worse yet, kids of friends ask us to donate to their seemingly never-ending stream of fundraisers. That kind of giving can lead to resentment rather than a warm glow.
Be pro-active and set aside some time to think about what the giving opportunities are, and find the best charity for your values and that you can feel proud and passionate about supporting.