I have to admit I did not do a sketch yesterday which posed the questions ‘What to do when you feel uninspired?’
I don’t think the weather helped as it was so hot and humid just standing made you sweat. I just did not know what to draw and I was not inspired by anything really. “Shall I use markers? Nah,” “shall I use some water colour pencils?Nah” and on it went. So I just left it.
Don't Judge Yourself
It’s ok to just leave it once in a while sometimes you do need a break and nothing forced is ever good, that just sucks the joy out of it. Once I had told myself it was ok I relaxed and then I watched some YouTube video’s on art instead. How to improve your art, how to fill your sketchbook were some of the topics I looked at.
I found something that I am going to try this week. 5 minute sketches. All this week I am going to find myself some reference photos and set a timer and do some 5 minutes sketches of them to see how that goes. See how and if it improves on any skills that I might have, plus it sounds like fun.
What To Do When You Feel Uninspired
- Take a break for the day.
- Tell yourself it’s ok and mean it, several times if you need to.
- Go watch some YouTube video’s or watch a lesson on Skillshare or some other platform that you like. Feed your mind. This helps to build inspiration or at least start the flow.
- Pick one thing that piqued your interest from all those videos and make a plan to give it a try.
- Take action on that plan with no expectation other than to have fun.
Today I am only up to step 4 above so next week will be step 5, the 5 minute sketches. Here is one of my sketches from this week and to see more go to my Instagram account @zoebadgerart.