What Steps You Need To Take To Create A Successful Online Business
There are thousands of people across the globe starting online businesses and successfully growing them into worldwide brands. Anyone from a newbie, to a seasoned entrepreneur are benefitting from the growing global economy and creating millions in revenue. Everybody has a chance to get into the game, but for some of us it can be difficult to decipher where to start and whether or not it will be a success. I am going to show you what steps you need to take in order to create a successful online business:
Step 1: What job do people need to get done?
This is often the most overlooked area of starting a business, because most people are thinking about their own needs over what people are looking for right now. The reason why people want to start an online business is because they want more freedom, more flexibility, more money, less restriction, be their own boss etc etc etc. But when we look at some of the most successful people in business like Mark Zuckerberg for instance, founder of Facebook, he said “My hope was never to build a company. I was driven by a sense of purpose to connect people and bring us closer together”.
“My hope was never to build a company. I was driven by a sense of purpose to connect people and bring us closer together” Mark Zuckerberg - Facebook
Now I know you are thinking, yeah, yeah… that is all well and good Nayla, but I want to start an online business that will be a success. Now there are two things you must ask yourself - What do people want and how can I help?
What Do People Want?
Find out what people are searching for, but are not finding a solution to – So how do I do this I hear you say;
- Visit online forums. What questions are being asked? What problems are they trying to solve?
- Look for keywords that offer minimal results in the search engines.
Research your competitors. What are they doing to fill the demand? Use what you have learned to create a product that is better than the competition.
How Can I Help?
Choose a business that is fulfilling and worthwhile to you. You do not have to be passionate about it, just interested. Think about what you are naturally good at, what are some of the things that bring you satisfaction? Consider the following;
- If you love to help friends get fit, then look into the fitness niche.
- If people always come to you for cooking advice, then start a niche around food.
- If you enjoy turning complex problems into simple steps, maybe offer business solutions.
Step 2: Have a Sales System
A sales system is required to take people through a sequence from the moment they arrive to the moment they make a purchase. Think about when you have purchased something online, it is easy to forget the system you went through because it was so simple and straightforward. This is what you want to create for your customers also.
- Create a compelling headline.
- How can your product or service help the customer?
- Establish your credibility and authority as a solver of this problem.
- Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
- Talk about the product and how it can help the user.
- Make an offer.
- Make a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale.
Throughout your system, focus on how your product or service can uniquely solve people's problems and improve their lives.
Step 3: Create your website.
You have fewer than five seconds to grab a visitor’s attention so is it imperative that your website loads quickly, otherwise they will be gone, never to be seen again. Some important tips to keep in mind:
- Use only one or two fonts, preferably on a white background.
- The visitor must be able to navigate easily, and on every page.
- If you choose to use graphics, audio and video ensure that they enhance your message. If not, do not bother using them.
- Ensure you include an opt-in offer so you can collect email addresses.
- Make it easy to buy your product.
- Your website is your online store, so make it customer friendly.
Step 4: Advertise
PPC (Pay-per-click) advertising is the best and easiest way to get traffic to your brand new site because they show up on the search pages immediately. They allow you to test different keywords, headlines, prices and selling approaches. Not only do you get immediate traffic, but you can also use PPC ads to discover your best and highest converting keywords. You can then distribute those keywords throughout your website in order to help with your rankings in the organic search results.
Step 5: Become an Expert
People are always looking for free information so it is important to offer them something valuable. Websites that are free tend to have much more traffic and have better search engine rankings, so ensure you add free content to these sites and always include a link back to your site. Consider the following:
- Create articles, videos or any other content that people want. Distribute it through social media.
- Include "share" links on your website.
- Become an expert in industry forums and social networking sites where your target market tends to hang out.
Not only will you reach new readers, but any site that posts your content will link back to yours. Search engines love backlinks from relevant sites, which will reward you in the rankings.
Step 6: Use email marketing.
It is important to have an opt-in list on your website as this is your most valuable asset. If your subscribers have given you permission to send them email this means:
- You are giving them something they have asked for.
- You are developing lifetime relationships with them.
- It is 100% measurable.
- Email marketing is cheaper and more effective than print, TV or radio because it's highly targeted.
Anyone who visits your site and opts-in to your list is a very hot lead. And there is no better tool than email for following up with those leads.
Step 7: Upsell
Closing your first sale with a customer is by far the most difficult part, not to mention the most expensive. So take the opportunity to upsell and get them to buy again. In most cases people who have purchased from you once will buy from you again if you follow up with them. Offer products that complement their original purchase.
- Send them loyalty coupons that they can redeem on their next visit.
- Offer other related products on your "Thank You" page after they purchase.
So here you go, these are the steps you need to take in order to create a successful online business. If you have been online for while then ensure you do a quick review to see if there are any steps you are neglecting.
If you liked this post please go ahead and share the content. You can also see more from me here.