Here is an excellent reason why you should assess your life. If at times, you do not evaluate or adjust your goals based on your purpose, or mission statement, you may spend your whole life climbing the ladder of success, only to realize, once you get to the top, that it is leaning against the wrong wall.
How can you identify your top goals? In what manner is it important to you? Why should you evaluate your life as it is today? What is working or is not? And what areas should you want to change, reset or improve?
“No one has ever climbed the ladder of success with both hands in their pockets.” – Zig Ziglar
And yet, a lot of people do not even know there is a ladder. No one wants to find themselves stuck in an unfulfilling life, so the more reason to assess it when the little voice inside you tells you to do so.
But life does not have to be a politically correct or mundane process. You have the right to make your own choices, the ones that align with your desires and wants. By getting off the grid for a day or two, you take the time to think, reflect, assess and adjust your life. It can become a journey of purpose and passion, but you have to be very honest with yourself.
The Valued Process of Assessment
If you do not confront your life once in a while, you are destined to be stuck in something you may not enjoy for the rest of your existence. It is what happens to the majority of people. And that is why all of us, without exception, will, go or went through one or two mid-life crisis.
However, each New Year, countless people make resolutions to change but forget all about it in February. But the ideal time is anytime you feel like it, so yes, you should reflect, assess and ruminate. Yet, sadly, so many people still neglect this valued and priceless process.
In fact, I am pretty sure you heard people or even yourself say one of these statements: “It’s not worth my time.” “I don’t have a minute to myself.” “Who is going to pay the bills?” So many folks work at a job they do not like just to make a living.
Why You Should Assess Your Life
There are times when you have to rethink your life. You have to recognize where your time and effort is best spent or poorly spent. You need to identify the indicators of progress and regression.
And you must realize what your strengths and your weaknesses are.
So, when you assess your existence, it gives you a delightful sense of slowing time down. You can do more, and it leads you on the right path by correcting your journey. You can go over the best moments in your life and correct. And you internalize and keep in mind the lessons learned.
“There are three methods by which we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” – Confucius
Stay in Control of Your Life
When you act without reflecting on things, it is like driving a car with no brakes. You go faster, but it often leads to a negative result. Things are mostly out of your control. So, to have the ability to stop and assess your life is what makes your journey safer, more memorable, and much more powerful.
So, assessments give you a stronger awareness and insight on how to predict challenges, barriers, and behaviors. It helps you make some necessary adjustments to what is not working. In this way, you can move forward with more determination on that which is working for you.
And as you assess your life, it brings clarity to where you should be in life. It shows you that you are or not on the right track. But most people do not ever follow their true calling, mission or purpose. Yet, what difference would it make to the world we live in if they did. There would undoubtedly be more creativity, inventions, solutions, and problems resolved!
How to Assess Your Life
- Take a day to reflect, assess and adjust your goals. It means being away from daily distractions. Go alone to whatever place you consider your cocoon of peace. Treat yourself to a time off and enjoy the process of evaluation. Remember, to live a fulfilling life, assessment is required and is beneficial to your future.
- Put away or turn off your cell phone. It is the number one reason for disturbing your private and personal time. So, you do not need your phone to assess your life; you need quiet.
- Turn off your computer if you are assessing in the same room and avoid the internet. Then, put only a pen and paper near you. Let go of everything else. Close your eyes. Re-live how far you have come and where you are now. Is it the place you want to be and really desire in your existence?
- Then record your thoughts by writing them down. Understand that writing is much more powerful than passive thinking. Remembering, learning, creativity, and commitment are way higher when physical writing on paper is required. And realize that your notes will serve as a map and source of inspiration for the adjustments you might have to make in life.
- Begin to find ways to adjust your mission to the life you have now. Ask the right questions to the right people or books. The most beautiful ideas, insights, and discoveries humans have made started by assessing their lives.
Therefore, you have to ponder, wonder, reflect, and reevaluate every time you hear this little voice of yours telling you it is time to assess your life. You will then live a much more satisfying and happy existence instead of just living through the days wondering what could be or might have been. It is your life!
Sergei VanBellinghen, Founder & CEO of First Class Lifestyle, currently a Personal Growth & Success Expert, using self-development techniques to help you succeed and have a better life. Visit my website at sergeivanbellinghen.com