Self-love has often been seen as a moral flaw, akin to vanity and selfishness. The Merriam-Webster dictionary later describes self-love as to "love of self" or "regard for one's own happiness or advantage
There is this common misconception about self-love. People think that buying a beauty makeover or a new set of pricy clothing is self-love, although it feels good and rewarding doing so, but you can't grow in self-love through these types of activities, because, self-love is not about feeling good with yourself. It is more about accepting and embracing the self for exactly who he is, including the strength, weaknesses and flows.
When we act in ways that expand self-love in us, we begin to accept much better our weaknesses as well as our strengths, have compassion for ourselves as humans struggling to find personal meaning in life.
Self-love is important to living well. It influences all your decisions, behaviours and the way you solve problems. Here is a couple behaviours to adopt in order to bring more of it into your life.
1. Be mindful. People who have more self-love know what they want. They are mindful of whom they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them. Best way to communicating with the self is to writing down the thoughts and feelings, Keep on documenting, until you get to know your needs better.
2. Act on what you need rather than what you want. You love yourself when you can turn away from something that feels good and exciting to what you need to stay strong, centered, and moving forward in your life.
3. Practice good self-care. You will love yourself more, when you take better care of your basic needs. People high in self-love nourish themselves daily through healthy activities, like listening to good audio, exercise, meditation, proper sleep, intimecy and healthy social interactions.
4. Learn to say “no”. You'll love yourself more when you set limits or say no to work, friends, or social obligations that deplete your energy.
5. Forgive yourself for your imperfections. If you ever make a mistake acknowledge it, learn from it, and move on, don’t dwell in the problem. Also, forgive others who hurt you and did not apologize for their mistake, because keeping the grudge occupies a space in your mind producing a negative energy that hurts you and disrupts your inner peace.
6. Live intentionally. Find your purpose and core values. Your purpose doesn't have to be crystal clear to you. If your intention is to live a meaningful and healthy life, you will make decisions that support this intention, and feel good about yourself when you succeed in this purpose.
The more self-love you have for yourself, less anxious, less stressed and depressed you will be. Even more, you will attract people and circumstances to you that enhance your well-being.
Thank you for taking the time to reading my article, hoping that it inspired you, let me know your opinion about self-love.
I wish you a life full of self-love, peace and harmony.