Digital Marketing: 6 Things I Have Learned
Begin at the beginning by creating a plan--plant the seed. The seed must be planted before it can grow.
The 6 things I have learned as I am reinventing my wheel, also known as my new marketing journey, really comes down to the fact that I have wasted a lot of precious days (not to mention the wasted money) by not taking some time to think through answering the questions of who, what, when, where, how and why. As a newbie, if I were beginning my journey today, I would begin here.
Until I began to consider each in a meaningful way, I hit roadblock after roadblock. However, with the training, expert instruction and support from my mentors, things are now moving in a strategic direction. I am beginning to understand that had I taken a bit more time to think each of these through--including working on the real answers, writing them down, making a plan and a strategy based on those answers--I not only would have saved myself money but a lot of time and frustration.
I think each of these 6 things I have learned deserves some thought and I will write about each one in this blog series. The series will focus on the following:
- Who? My thinking, initially, was "what do you mean, who?" Now I realize the who is one of the most important questions. I will explain.
- What? When I used to think of what, it was what am I going to do? What will work fast and make me money so I can free myself of the corporate world, replace my income, and begin again? I have learned that my what should not be about what I am going to do. This was a surprise for me and may be for you also.
- When? Now, of course! Well, that's what I used to think. I am realizing--and deep down already knew--that type of thinking was what has caused me to hit roadblock after roadblock. Perhaps you are hitting these roadblocks also.
- How? Oh, my! How, indeed! One of the struggles that I had is how to make money while I am learning to, well, make money? And how do I do this marketing thing anyway? And how do I learn it? How do I begin? Oh, and let's not forget technology. How am I ever to learn all this technology? All this is much clearer now.
- Where? This was the easiest one for me and possibly will be for you, as well. The answer is anywhere, of course. We can do this anywhere that has an internet connection. The internet is here to stay and it is easier and easier to choose your workplace. You can be free to work anywhere in the world! Isn't that awesome!! For me, that is perfect! But where may not necessarily be a place on a map? Let's explore the question.
- Why? Initially, I thought, how much time do you have for me to list the many reasons? There are so many. Now I realize I didn't even consider the one that was most important. I believe this is the most important thing I have learned to date and it surprises me to even write that it is true.
I will post the first of the 6 things I have learned very soon.
Until then, please look upward for the courage and strength to lift your wings. Let's learn to fly!