Do you ever analyse your current reality, and wonder how you got there? Do you feel as though life is happening around you, and you are just trying your best to make it through each day? I know many people that feel this way, I’ve even caught myself feeling this way from time to time. The danger of this way of thinking, is that if we don’t wake up and recognise the power in our thoughts, actions and choices, life will become something that happens TO us, instead of FOR us.
You might be thinking ‘well, life does happen TO me, there are so many things outside of my control’. Stick with me here, keep and open mind, and let me explain to you how you’ve CHOSEN to be exactly where you are right now (and how to CHOOSE to create a brand new reality).
HOW WE CHOOSE OUR REALITY EVERYDAY
As human beings, we make up to 35000 choices each and every day. Many of these choices involve mundane things like what to have for breakfast, or what coloured tie to wear to work today. What many of us don’t realise, is that the most powerful choice we make every single day, is what to think. Our thoughts shape every facet of our reality, and it’s a complete misconception that we have no control of them.
Think about your life right now, what are some of the things that you’re not happy with? Are you working long hours in a job you’re not passionate about? Do you have a large mortgage or debt that you’re paying off that keeps you up at night? Are there relationships in your life that make you unhappy? Now think about how these sources of unhappiness came to be in your life – you chose them. You chose to buy that house, you chose to follow that career path, you chose to enter that relationship. You can choose to remove these sources of stress or unhappiness from your life at any time.
CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS, CHANGE YOUR LIFE
Once you make the decision to choose to create a new reality for yourself, there are lots of changes you can make to get the ball rolling. You can sell your house and downsize, you can resign from your job and follow a new career path, and you can walk away from that relationship. However, if you really want to learn how to take life by the horns, and you want life to be something that happens FOR you, instead of TO you, then you’ll need to learn how to choose your thoughts.
Have you ever heard this phrase ‘feeling follows thought’? As humans, we are emotional beings, and our emotions help to shape how we see the world. Our emotions are a huge part of who we are as people, how we react to our environments, and what a regular day in our lives looks like (or feels like). When we have a negative thought, a negative emotion will follow this. For example, let’s say I wake up in the morning and the first thing I think is ‘I didn’t get enough sleep, I’m so tired’, this thought is going to be followed by a negative emotion. If I CHOSE to change that thought to something like this ‘what a great deep sleep that was, I’m so grateful for this comfortable warm bed I have’, this will be followed by a positive thought.
HARNESS THE POWER OF YOUR THOUGHTS TO ATTRACT A BETTER LIFE
When we can recognise the power we have to choose our thoughts, not only will we have a more positive life experience, we will also attract a better life. I’m sure most people have heard of the law of attraction – if you focus on what you want to happen in your life, and choose positive thoughts, you will naturally attract positive life experiences. This is easier said than done for most, and it takes dedication and practise. We are products of our environments, and we grow up learning to choose a certain way of thinking. We have to work at breaking through this conditioning, which can be tough, but by introducing a new daily ritual, it is 100% possible.
HOW TO CHOOSE A FREEDOM LIFESTYLE
If you’re anything like me, you despise the idea of the 9-5 and are dreaming of a freedom lifestyle, where your work can be done from a laptop, anywhere in the world. I am choosing to make this my reality, and no matter what you situation is now, you can do this too. This choice takes daily work, dedication and commitment. Introduce this daily ritual into your life today, and make the choice to work towards the life of your dreams:
- Write down the life you are choosing for yourself. What does it look like? Where do you live? How do you earn money? What are your relationships like? Write down what you ideal day would look like. You can journal every day, or you can read what you’ve written everyday and start to visualise and focus on what it is that you are choosing to create.
- Choose to visualise and meditate. Every morning when you wake up, take yourself to a quiet space, put on some calming meditation music (there are plenty of apps for this), and visualise what your ideal day looks like. Feel it, taste it, smell it. The more detailed you can make it, the faster it will come to you.
- Choose to be grateful for what you already have. Every morning when you wake up, think of 5 things you are grateful for in your current life. Choose to find the positives in every single day, even if you aren’t where you want to be yet. Choosing to think this way, will make for a much better life experience every single day.
- Create a daily action plan, and choose to take action every single day. You can’t just wish your freedom lifestyle into existence. You need to create a plan, and you need to take action everyday. It can be small steps, like researching where you like to live abroad, or sharing your plans with someone close to you.
- Choose your tribe. If there is a particular type of freedom lifestyle you are wanting to create for yourself, choose to surround yourselves with people that have already achieved it. You don’t have to ditch all your current friends, just make the choice to enter a new community. The beauty of social media, is that now this is easier than ever to do. Follow accounts that inspire you, and interact with them – remember, they are real people!
Make the choice today to create the life of your dreams, and allow yourself to dream. Anything is possible! Choose to take control of your life, and observe what happens. Be someone that life happens FOR, not someone that life happens TO.